NEST Thermostat E Overview
The Nest Learning Thermostat E is a smart device designed to learn your heating and cooling preferences and make adjustments according to them, generally within about week from installation. The Thermostat E has a 6-wire configuration that works with about 85% of available heating and cooling systems, and it comes in white with a frosted display to better blend into most homes.
How does the Thermostat E adapt to you? Initially, you set your preferences, and when you make manual adjustments to them, the Thermostat E picks up on the changes and adapts to them. For example, if you initially set that you want the temperature to be at 70° at 7 in the morning, but then a few times in the next several days you manually turn the heat up to 75° at 7AM, the Thermostat E will officially change the 7AM temperature to 75°. The same approach will be applied to all your other settings according to your preferences and habits. It also automatically adapts to seasonal changes.
Furthermore, when the Thermostat E detects that everyone has left the premises, it will turn the temperature off completely (or adjust it to a set minimum if you assign one), and as soon as someone is back home, the Thermostat E will turn everything back on according to what it knows you prefer at that particular time of day (or to a max setting if you assign one).
The Thermostat E is also capable of integrating with other Nest products and with Google Home. It can receive communication from the Nest Protect smoke alarm system to turn the furnace or fan off if Nest Protect detects dangerous carbon monoxide gas or smoke. It can inform the Nest Cam to turn on automatically when it knows you’re away. And you can control the Thermostat E by telling Google Home what to do, such as “OK Google, change the temperature to 72°.”
When the Thermostat E senses your presence and turns everything back on, it also lights up and displays the temperature. Energy costs are among the biggest in the home, and the Thermostat E helps you save substantially on them with this automatic Home/Away Assist feature. Nest is the first brand to have received ENERGY STAR certification for a thermostat, and retains that certification with the Thermostat E.
There are other energy-efficiency features as well. Energy History lets you check/monitor (via the Nest app) how much energy you use and why. Nest Leaf guides you in the right savings direction by showing you a leaf when you choose a temperature that saves energy.
To assign your preferences or otherwise control the Thermostat E, you can use the control ring on the device or the downloadable Nest mobile app on your iOS/Android phone or tablet via a Wi-Fi connection even when you’re not home.
The Thermostat E is designed to be an affordable, energy-saving, and easy-to-use solution for your home. It runs on a built-in rechargeable battery and has a wall-mount design. If you need help installing it, Nest offers a professional installer finder tool on their website. Search for Nest Pro Finder and receive an estimate within 48 hours.
- Energy-saving smart thermostat for your home
- Learns your heating and cooling preferences and adapts to them
- 6-wire configuration compatible with most 24V heating and cooling systems (about 85% of available heating and cooling systems)
- Comes in white to better blend into most homes
- Turns the heat/cooling off (or to a set minimum) when detecting that no one is home
- Capable of communicating with the optional Nest Protect smoke alarm to turn off the heat or the fan in case of gas leaks or smoke
- Energy History review/monitoring tool
- Nest Leaf energy saving guidance tool
- Controllable via front panel or an included Nest iOS/Android mobile app
- Built-in rechargeable battery
- Wall-mount design
- Sensors: Temperature, Humidity, Proximity/Occupancy, Ambient light
- The Nest Thermostat E works with most 24V heating and cooling systems, including gas, electric, forced air, heat pump, radiant, oil, hot water, solar, and geothermal
- Heating and Cooling: 1 stage of heating (W1) and cooling (Y1), and a second stage of either heating (W2) or cooling (Y2)
- Heat Pump: with auxiliary and emergency heat (O/B, AUX)
- Fan (G)
- Power (C, Rh, or Rc)
- The Thermostat E is designed to work even if your home doesn’t have a common (C) wire, but installing a new (C) wire may be required
- If you have a dual fuel system, professional installation is highly recommended